Greyscale series 1 of 3 This is a 3 part series done in one of my college art classes. The first drawing is a simple line drawing. You had to draw one continuous long line and then fill in the different areas with texture/pattern to get varying levels of black/grey/white.
Greyscale series 2 of 3 The second in this series was #1 converted to true greyscale using acrylic paints. I also tried to maintain the texture.
Greyscale series 3 of 3 Finally, the 3rd in the series was converting the greyscale to color using the color wheel to represent the different levels of greyscale. This was a fun project and seeing all of the creativity that came from it in the class was awesome. Of course, I never intended for it to look like a chicken. ;-) I want to convert this to a quilt someday.
geometric blocks2Ok, this was done using both painting on paper, then cutting out and glueing into place. This will be stunning as a quilt using hand dyed fabrics. And, again, like the one above, this was way before I knew anything about quilt blocks. Can we say "Square in a Square" here.

Architecture Work

When I first transferred to Ohio State, it was with the goal of being an architect. I learned after my first year that it is impossible to work and go to school for architecture. Some of my projects required upwards of 20-30 hours. So, since I didn't come from rich parents, I changed majors. [sigh] But, in any event, here are some of the projects on which I worked during that first year.

This was one of our first projects. We had to bring in an object from home that we used everyday. Of course, I brought this in knowing nothing else about what we would be doing with it. I quickly realized I should have brought in something easier to draw than metallic. [grin]
This is a second elevation of the curling iron.
My first official drafting attempt. I had never before used formal drafting tools, so it was a challenge. Ever try to draw curves with a t-square and ruler?
This is the drafted version of the second elevation.
This is a drafted drawing of a project in which we had to take different elements of the first drawings, and extend them onto planes, such that we created other shapes and objects. This was perhaps the 5th or 6th version of the project series which involved tracing paper, and the cube drafting. [Please note: how did I get away with that error on the top bar... {grin}]
I wish I had pictures of the original cube before we transformed it. We had to create a perfectly level and plumb cube using only the wood, and wood glue. No screws or other items allowed. That was a challenge in and of itself. We then had to paint it white, and bring it to class. The next task was to take the drafted rendering of the cube project and implement it in real life. Easier said than done! Lots of glueing, and painting, and cutting, here.

As much as I loved the final project, mine was almost put to shame by the level of creativity and detail of some of my fellow classmates. But, it was better than a lot as well. [grin]
Another elevation of the cube.
A closer look at the cube.
Here is yet another project building on that curling iron. Do you see any of the elements here? This was quite a challenge. First, the task was to create the two "L" bridge anchors out of plaster of paris. We could use only foamcore and elmers glue for the molds. Let's just say this was a messy task. You have to let that glue dry for DAYS or once the plaster hits it, the glue gets soft again and the mold no longer holds. Ask me how I found that one out?! [wicked grin]

The next task was to create the many objects out of wood. This was my most favorite part of the project, getting to work in the wood shop. We had quite a wonderful wood shop to use, and oh how I loved it. Wood is actually a very sensual thing once it has been sanded smooth. And, I loved all of the attention I usually got being the only female in the woodshop. (There were a few other women in my architecture classes, but like IT, it is very male dominated.)

I think most of the materials are obvious, but the paint was using watercolors, not acrylics, and had to be painted, and sanded, several times to keep the smooth surface of the wood. All of the small pieces on the frame were hand sanded and painted; I know they look like toothpics.

I sure wish digital cameras had been available back then; I would have loved to be able to share some of the amazing creations that others completed. I believe that mine was far more "feminine" than most of the others.
A second elevation of the bridge.
Another elevation.